2nd IEEE WOMEN IN ENGINEERING INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
EMPOWER, INNOVATE, INSPIRE
June 05-12, 2021, Agadir - Morocco
EXTENDED DEADLINE : 18 OCTOBER 2020
Important Symposium Guidellines
To ensure the proper execution of the IEEE WIE Symposium, please pay special attention to the instructions below. If you have any questions or difficulties following the guidelines, please contact the Secretariat (email@example.com) who will be happy to help.
HOW WILL THE SYMPOSIUM OPERATE?
The symposium will be delivered both in-person and online over a professional platform, Zoom, and will be managed by a highly competent and very experienced technical team. The online symposium platform is rich with features such as text-based chat, Q&A box, questions with polls and more.
All Presentations (Keynotes, Speakers and Posters Presentations) have to be pre-recorded to improve the quality of the delivery, avoid going over time and avoid any technical issue. However, speakers should be present for their entire session in order to answer questions and participate in the discussion.
Presentations are assembled in sessions according to a theme and participants can access them live via an hyperlink. A chairperson coordinates each session. All registered attendees can attend all technical sessions and switch from session to session at will.
There will also be a dedicated period for questions and discussion after the presentations. Participants will be able to use a Q&A box (similar to a chat) to ask questions during and right after the presentations. The session’s chairperson will then select few questions, depending on the time allocated for the discussion, and will read them to the presenter, who will be able to answer verbally during the session. The presenter will also be able to answer, after her/his session, any remaining questions through the Q&A box.
All sessions will be fully recorded for post-symposium streaming so that all registered attendees will be able to revisit the sessions and catch up with the talks they've missed. Please note that we automatically assume that presenters accept their recorded presentation to be made available to participants for post-symposium streaming on IEEE WIE'20 website. In case of refusal, presenters need to notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2021 and the secretariat will manage the requests.
RECORDING YOUR PRESENTATION
- Keynote Speaker: The time allocated to each keynote speaker is 30 minutes (30’ pre-recorded presentation followed by a 15’ for questions).
- Oral Talk : The time allocated to each oral talk is 15 minutes (10’ pre-recorded presentation followed by a 5’ for questions).
- Poster Presentation : The time allocated to each poster presentation speakers is 5 minutes (5’ pre-recorded presentation followed by a 5’ for questions).
For a pre-recorded presentation, you will have to record yourself narrating a digital version of your presentation. You are free to choose the style of presentation you want, you can decide to record only your slides, yourself or both. It is suggested to use creative methods, e.g. subtitles, animations and video, to enhance your presentation further.
You can use the software or application of your choice to prerecord your presentation. Different tools are available to assist you and enhance your presentation, please find some suggestions below:
- Zoom (How to pre-record Your Screen and Yourself with ZOOM)
- Microsoft Powerpoint (Instruction video)
- Prezi (Instruction for a video)
More information to improve your video presentation
If you wish to allow attendees to contact you after the symposium, make sure to include your name, affiliation and email address on the first slide of your presentation.
The question period will take place in livestream following your presentation. The technical staff will give you access to the discussion and the session chair will lead the question period.
UPLOADING AND SHARING YOUR PRE-RECORDED PRESENTATION
We ask that you share with the symposium technical team your recorded video no later than Sunday, May 09, 2021.
Please make sure:
- You name your recorded video file with the following naming convention:
Accepted formats are: .wmv, .mp4 or .mov
The following formats are NOT accepted: .ppsx, .pptx, .ppt, .pps
- You upload your video file to your google drive
- You share your video file with email@example.com
PREPARING FOR YOUR VIRTUAL SESSION
Before the conference starts
- Please upload and share your pre-recorded presentation following the instructions above before May 09, 2021.
- In order to enter the platform, make sure you are registered to the symposium. If so, you should have received an invitation to register and access the sessions.
*Please note that the invitation will be sent in a reminder few days before the symposium to all registrants
- Make sure to install Zoom on your computer or update it to latest version ; it will be requested to access the platform.
- Test your internet speed, we recommend an Internet connection download speed of at least 2.5Mbps. Click here to test your connection speed.
- A microphone is recommended as well as a quiet place cut off from ambient noise for better interactions. Moreover, a USB connected headset will offer a better sound quality.
A technical staff will be assigned to each virtual session to ensure smooth transitions between presentations and promote speakers when needed (e.g. question period). A session chair will also be assigned to each session to facilitate and oversee time and question period.
Before the session starts
- Please make sure to join the virtual session 10 minutes prior to the start.
- When entering the session, make sure to identify yourself with your FIRST NAME and LAST NAME to help the technical staff and session chair finding you easily.
- The technical staff will then promote you as speaker when required.
- As a speaker, please note that you will be live as soon as you open your microphone and/or your camera after being promoted as such by the moderator. Registered attendees will be able to hear you automatically.
During the session
Pre-recorded presentations will be managed by the technical staff according to the established schedule.
The question period will take place in livestream following the pre-recorded presentation. Once it’s time, the screen will be switched to panel mode by the technical staff and both the session chair and the speaker will appear side by side on screen. The session chair will lead the question period and time allotted.
You can use the Raise your hand tool to inform the moderator of your presence in the virtual room.
The Q&A tool will be used by registered attendees to ask questions. The session chair will choose the most relevant ones to read for presenter to answer during question period.
The Chat tool will used by session chair and technical staff to privately contact the presenters if needed. If you need technical assistance, you will be able to inform the moderator using this tool.
Tips: Test your audio and video as you join; Mute your microphone when not speaking; Position your webcam at eye level and make contact as much as possible.
If you need more information on how to use Zoom:
SYMPOSIUM LOGO AND ZOOM BACKGROUND
The official IEEE WIE’20 Logo is at your disposal to insert in your slides, you can download it here.
Please follow the Zoom tutorial below for instructions in case you would like to change the standard background. We recommend that you do a test beforehand to see which background works better for you, depending on your environment.
Zoom Tutorial: Changing your Virtual background (ENG)
TO ACCESS THE VIRTUAL SYMPOSIUM
To access the virtual symposium and the session in which you are presenting:
Make sure to install Zoom on your computer or update it to the latest version; it will be required to login to your account, go to the Online Program that will be available soon, Click on the desired session at scheduled time, then the Zoom website launches and prompts you to confirm that you wish to enter the session.